Thursday, April 7, 2011

The Hope of an Iris

Earlier this week, I noticed that my Irises are about to bloom. This caught me by surprise. I was thinking that they bloom much later in spring. But it also made me smile. Tomorrow marks what would have been my Grandmother's 73rd birthday. And when I see an Iris, I always think of her. She always had tons of Irises growing in her yard. They were, and are, beautiful, just like her.



There are still days when it doesn't seem real that she is gone, even though we sent her on to be with Jesus over two years ago now. I miss her as much today as ever. But the promise of the coming bloom that will bring beauty and new life to my yard in the coming days reminds me of the beautiful new life that she is experiencing with Jesus. Cancer had made her so very weak in her last days. It was painful to watch such a strong woman decline. She was so brave. But while it took her health and even her mind in those last days, it never took her hope. And it's that same hope that I am reminded of as the earth comes out of the deadened state brought on by winter, springing up into new life all around. It's the same hope that comes with the empty tomb which we will celebrate in a few weeks on Resurrection Sunday. It's the hope that she has passed on to others through a life lived for Christ. And the hope that lets me know I will see her again some day! It's the hope I will share with E as he grows and learns about a loving God who gave us Jesus, God's only begotten Son, so that we could experience true life, everlasting life.

Thank you God for the life of my Grandmother. Those who knew her were truly blessed. I pray that the life I live will leave the kind of legacy for others that hers has for me.

Earlier today I introduced a new devotional blog that I have been working on for some time now. The first post talks about my Grandmother's legacy. The blog is called Your Traveling Companion. If you have a moment, I encourage you to check it out. It talks more about her legacy. I hope it will inspire you to live a life that will light the way for others.

No comments:

Post a Comment