Friday, July 30, 2010

Tomatoes Everywhere!


Although the heat has all but killed all 2 1/2 rows of tomatoes we planted, we had a couple of weeks there where there were tomatoes running out of our ears. I made some fresh salsa which I inevitably got too hot for my taste buds each time but J rather enjoyed, then I decided to try turning those delicious red and yellow gems into spaghetti sauce. Since we also had zucchini running out of our ears, this seemed like the perfect use for this delicious garden gold.

Here are a few of our beauties.

I blanched and peeled the tomatoes. Blanching makes the skin peel right off and saves tons of time!

After you peel them, they look something like this.

Next I peeled and chopped an onion and a few cloves of garlic, then sautéed them in some oil until they were translucent.



Next I chopped the tomatoes and zucchini and added them to the pot, along with a variety of spices. You could add just about anything that you want, but I chose basil, thyme, rosemary, parsley, and oregano in addition to salt and some freshly cracked black pepper.

I let that cook for a while, then I added a can of traditional spaghetti sauce to thicken it up.

Somehow I forgot to take a picture of the finished product. Probably because I was distracted by a certain little one-year-old! But I did take a picture of the yummy tomato pie that I made to go along with the spaghetti. This is yet another delicious way to eat those summer goodies!
I was first introduced to tomato pie by a dear friend at the church where I served before become a stay at home mommy. She made this wonderful dish for the birthday luncheon that she and a few of my other friends had for me last summer. It is super easy and tastes FANTASTIC! All you have to do it take an unbaked pie crust and fill it with cheese. Mozzarella works great,  but any Italian cheese blend would be fine. Then you slice 2-3 tomatoes and layer them on top. Next, sprinkle the tomatoes with salt, pepper and basil, then drizzle with olive oil. Cover the edges of the crust with aluminum foil to prevent burning and bake in 400* oven for 25-30 minutes. Let it set for a few minutes before serving.

This was a delicious, refreshing summer meal. I hope you will give it a try! Bon Appetite! 

On a side note, we had even more tomatoes come in after I made this sauce. We really enjoy zucchini sauce, but rarely have it in the winter, so I decided to make a huge pot and freeze it in batches for us to enjoy this winter. It will be a special treat. I can't wait!

2 comments:

  1. Ahhh! I have tomato envy... the floods and heat this summer have made for a mighty sad harvest in comparison to summers past. Guess I'll just have to come to your house when it gets cold then! :) You're a creative and loving mommy, 'Omi... then again, I would never have expected any less!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, friend! Unfortunately this recent heat wave has taken its toll on our garden. It is pretty much done for the year. We can't complain, though. We got a great harvest while it lasted!

    ReplyDelete